Over the last couple of months while traversing the hiways and byways between the Command Post and the Grindstone, I have come to the realization that most people do NOT understand the concept of the MERGE.
Let me simplify for those that can not grasp this simple concept. First a definition courtesy of dictionary.com
verb, merged, merg⋅ing.–verb (used with object)
1. to cause to combine or coalesce; unite.
2. to combine, blend, or unite gradually so as to blur the individuality or individual identity of: They voted to merge the two branch offices into a single unit.
–verb (used without object)
3. to become combined, united, swallowed up, or absorbed; lose identity by uniting or blending (often fol. by in or into): This stream merges into the river up ahead.
4. to combine or unite into a single enterprise, organization, body, etc.: The two firms merged last year.
Now, when it comes to merging into traffic. follow these steps.
- GET THE DAMN CELL PHONE OUT OF YOUR EAR!
- If you have the benefit of an acceleration lane, USE IT to match speeds with the traffic you wish to merge with.
- TURN ON YOUR DIRECTIONAL INDICATOR FOR THE DIRECTION YOU WISH TO MERGE.
I will bet my next paycheck that if you do these things, 9 out of 10 times, someone will make an adjustment for you to smoothly merge into the traffic stream. Give it a try and see how easy it is. Soon you too will be merging with the ease and skill of a professional.